Thursday, January 14, 2010

Have any white females ever tried one of those ethnic hair relaxers?

I did one for a friend of mine (who is black) a couple of years ago, and I remember her saying it burned her scalp. I have thick and curly hair, and its not too healthy. Do you think one of those ethnic relaxers would help flatten out my hair? Has anyone ever tried?Have any white females ever tried one of those ethnic hair relaxers?
I have been straightening my best friend's hair for the last 20 years with a product designed for ';Ethnic'; hair. She is 100% Irish, with VERY thick curly red hair. Products designed for standard hair straightening did not work for her, it removed some of the curl, but they never actually made her hair straight. I recommend using a product that contains NO LYE and that you have a friend help you because it takes a while to get the product into the hair and to keep it from curling back up during the process. I also recommend that you purchase a product designed for children because it will be far less harsh on the hair. ALL hair straightening products do damage. They open the hair's cuticle layer and allow it to assume a different shape (straight). The neutralizer solution locks in the new shape. Also be very sure to rinse the hair very well. Most products come with a special shampoo that will change color to let you know that all the product has been effectively removed from your hair. If you have any scalp issues (scrapes etc.) wait until they heal before you straighten your hair because it will sting if you don't. Also, only use a WIDE tooth comb to comb your hair and NEVER brush it while wet, it pulls the hair and will cause breakage.Have any white females ever tried one of those ethnic hair relaxers?
Yes, I have. It worked fair, but don't expect STRAIGHT hair unless you use a product to specifically straighten your hair. I used Fresh Look and have included the link for you. I don't believe it is available in the stores. It did NOT burn my scalp and my hair was reasonably healthy. I think it is a very a good product! Their web site has before and after pics of white ladies on their web site. I bought the whole package (about $50) but after using it, I don't think I needed to buy the whole package. I will buy the main straightener product next time, I think. You might want to get the whole package the first time and decide from there what you need. It's up to you...read the descriptions or call and talk to them, I did.
i have because im latina race (well mixed because my mother is irish). i have dark curtly hair that NEVER strightens. it worked fine for me but it depends what you sa is curly hair ya know. and yes it does burn your scalp aswell
I have not but I have a freind who did. It totally fried her hair, I think black women's hair is much more dense and coarse than the average white woman;s hair and can take more damage. I'd get it professionally straightened.
This doesn't sound like something that I would try unless I was ethnic. Since it is made especially for ethnic hair, then there must be a reason for that. I know my hair can take more of a beating than non ethnic hair I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment