Monday, January 18, 2010

Is it true that relaxers in a box break your hair off more than salons?

When I got my hair braided at a salon the stylists assistant told me the box relaxers break your hair off. So is that true at all or was she just trying to get me to come in there more?Is it true that relaxers in a box break your hair off more than salons?
It depends on how you place it on your hair. I think she is just trying to get you in there more. Cuz if a box relaxer is done right, your hair shouldn't break off.Is it true that relaxers in a box break your hair off more than salons?
No its not true. Professional relaxer may have better quality accessory/styling products with it-neutralizer/conditioner, etc....but there isn't a lot of difference in chemicals or how they work. In another answer I described how my cousin took her $7 perm to her stylist when she punked out of applying it herself-she's brassy like that. And that is where the damage will come from, overprocessing, overlapping the relaxer on previous relaxed hair, which is controlled better in a professional salon environment. You can jack yourself up in a short amount of time when you decide or have to go at it solo, so you have to weigh it out.
I have found that box relaxers give the hair the bone straight texture and the salon relaxers just relax the wave and don't get your hair bone straight.So It does appear that the hair would break more easily because it is so straight and sometimes when its straighter it tends to be easier to break.With any chemical service you have to condition and take good care of the hair.But this is why it seems to break easier.
Usually, products sold to the public aren't as reliable or made with the same high quality ingredients as the ones bought and used at a salon.





Also, your stylist at a salon is trained to use these products, so breakage is less likely since they're using the proper procedures.





I'd say stick with your stylist doing a relaxer because there's a reason they have their license and they can be trusted with your hair.
I don't think so. I think it mayb bcause its harder if the person is relaxing their own hair or someone inexperienced is using the product. any of it can break your hair if used improperly and no protein is added back. You must have protein conditioners every so often after doing that to your hair. FYI : The (yolk) (I use 3-4) of an egg is a great pure protein conditioner for hair , but you must follow w/ a moisturizer- I beleive that people are trying to make money/sometimes you CAN do it yourself. good luck
In most cases, salons use better quality products than those sold in stores because they are for professionals only. However, some people use the boxes and they work just fine. But I think it has more to do with people not knowing how to apply them correctly and that's what leads to hair damage. But, unless you know how to use them correctly, I would recommend going to a salon.
That is what I have always heard. However, I think your hair may tend to break off more if you perm your own hair and do not do a good job especially when you can't see well in the back of the hair. Salon perms have a better quality, and are done hopefully by a professional. Perms are all harsh chemicals. I hate to get them and professionally done, they cannot stay on my more than 5 minutes after she has worked them through. No matter what I BURN!!!
Well I have notice it to be true with some people, but not all. I stop going to the salon and did a box perm once, and my hair did break. But, on the other hand I have a girlfriend who only uses box perm and her hair is great. I think it's a combo of both that hurt our hair.
she was wanting you to buy the products in her salon. but usualy what they use in the salons are much better then in the grocery store. go to sallys and ask for a brand thats helpful!
RELAXERS (doesn't matter if u buy it in a box or get it done in a salon!!!!) done incorrectly break ur hair... period
That's not really true but it is good to stick to the same type of relaxers

No comments:

Post a Comment