Friday, January 15, 2010

Why do you think black woman put relaxers in their hair?

I'm black and I don't relax my hair anymore. After finding out about the type of chemicals that is used to make it and how damaging they are to my hair and my health, I've decided to leave it alone. And besides that, I've realized that what God has given me is good enough for me.





So if you're black, why do you relax? If you aren't black, then why do you think black women relax?Why do you think black woman put relaxers in their hair?
I think they do it because fashion and advertising has tried to teach them that unrelaxed hair is not attractive.





Guess what? They are wrong, and they are actually extremely harsh chemicals. There is a rule everybody should follow, If you would'nt put it in your mouth, don't put it in your hair or skin. That might might be a little extreme, but think about it, your skin and hair absorbs things into your body, these are dangerous chemicals that should not be ingested, but putting them on your body allows them into your body as well.Why do you think black woman put relaxers in their hair?
I guess they want a change.I have totally straight hair and I mean poker straight and I'd rather have some curl.Tell you what though I love cornrows.Tried it myself but I don't have the patience.


my hair turns frizzy if permed because its very fine and within 1/2 hr of curling with iron it falls out.So,we all have our problems
My fiancee relaxes his hair and its horrible. I honestly have to say that I'd leave my hair curly if I were him.





I think it goes back to that adage that you always want what you don't have. I'll admit-I love curly hair. Then again, my hair is so straight and fine, its going to the complete opposite side of the spectrum.
It's all about conforming to the standards of beauty in our Western Society. I was watching the old musical Carmen Jones, which was made circa 1954, starring Dorothy Dandridge and an all-black cast. In truth, seeing their hair was no different than the hair of the white counterparts. To have similiar expression (in fashion, hair, makeup) is a sign of cultural unity and assimiliation, to a certain extent.





It's no secret that as a black woman, one's natural locks aren't appreciated in a corporate community. In order to compete on that level, you must conform. Everyone actually has to conform in this scenario. It so happens that blacks have to conform in the area of natural hair versus.. similar hair.








I don't relax anymore, myself. but I do where my hair straight (via heat).
Straight and sleak hair is in style. I am white and believe that black women will straighten their hair for a different style option. I am amazed as to what time the black women put into their hair. My hair takes 15 minutes to cut and style where the black woman will spend anywhere from 1 hr to 6 hours in the stylists chair. All black women are beautiful regardless what type of hair style they are wearing at the time.
well I am black and I do relax my hair because you cant walk into a job with nappy hair and be unpresentable--yeah it is a form of discrimination but to really try and fight the fact that you came to work with nappy hair is not an excuse for anyone. For me personally, I just dont like to do my hair as their are products that dont have all that lye and harish chemicals I prefer to stick with products like that and other products that assist with helping the hair grow and keeping it healthy it doesnt bother me I like it my hair becomes more managable and stylable
I am not black but I used to relax my hair. It is not for me. I ordered Maxiglide. It is awesome. It saves me time, money, and healthier than putting chemicals on my hair.
I'm married to a Black woman. I have 'mixed' children. I've been married in the past to White women. I have watched women for a long time. The one thing I am 100% clear about, is that women are never satisfied with the way they look. If they have straight hair, they will curl it. If they have curly hair they will straighten it. If it is blond, they will darken it. If it is dark they will make it blond. And if it is Grey, it will be dyed. Black Women put relaxers in their hair, because they are women.





No matter how many times I tell my wife I like her curly hair, she straightens it. No matter how much I may like the kinky hair of my children, they straighten it. And no matter how much I tell some of my other daughters I like their straight hair, they curl it.





Fact of live. This will never change.
black people relex their hair ot keep it looking good at all times so did men have someone good to look at





then why do you think black women relax- it makes the person feel good about their appearance and life
WHY ARE YOU ASKING THIS QUESTION YOU KNOW DAMN WELL WHY THEY DO IT
The only thing I can say is you sound really self-assured and that's great!





If I was black-I would do braids-it seems like an awful lot of trouble to relax-plus the damage and breakage-ughh!
Black women relax their hair to make it more manageable. But then again straight haired people perm their hair to make it curly. People like change and they are sometimes never satisfied with what they have been blessed with.
It's a matter of choice and colour doesn't come into it. Those with poker straight hair may prefer curly so they have a perm or use curlers and curling tongs. Personally, I thought all my birthdays had come at once when ceramic straighteners came on the market. I hate my curly hair and got sick of people telling me how lucky I am. These days we all have the best of both worlds. We can change our hair to however we want it.
I had stopped relaxing my hair about two years ago until recently. I live in Michigan where it gets really humid in the summer and my hair is super thick. It just isn't feasible for me to not relax my hair. By the end of the day, actually more like the middle, my hair is so friggin' big from all the humidity. If I ever move to a dryer climate I will stop relaxing again. I must say though, I felt good about not relaxing it but it was just too much work. It's all about personal choice and what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa.
i relax my hair because my hair is thick and i like for my hair to be straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment