Monday, January 18, 2010

Hair relaxers for children?

I am thinking about using a childrens hair relaxer on my daughters hair. She is 7 and mixed race with very hard to manage curly hair. I buy all the right shampoos and creams for her hair type but if not applied every day, becomes unmanageable. I've heard bad things about relaxers but have you used them on kids? I know there are kids special relax kits..do they work, are they dangerous? Any help appreciated.Hair relaxers for children?
Don't do it. she is far too young. My twins are mixed race and have hair like your daughters. Every weekend I put henna wax on their hair and leave it in overnight. This conditions their hair beautifully and then I just calm it down with an anti frizz spray every day. I have found that if I plat their at night it helps a lot.Hair relaxers for children?
Take her to a hair salon that is owned and run by a black woman - she'll be able to give you proper advice. Hope it works out.
If your are really against chemicals on your childs hair a good product you can use is carols daughter to make the hair managable and that way your daughters hair is not chemically damaged. Good Luck. Click on the link below.
No!!! Lord knows I understand your plight but try to avoid such strong chemicals at her age. Softeners, texturizers, kiddy perms are all just mild relaxers and can cause serious damage to her hair and scalp. If you have the time and patience, use a good conditioning leave-in conditioner and moisturizer, get a blow-dryer with a comb attachment and dry her hair on low heat. Find a style that doesn't require excessive daily maintenance like braids, twists, or ponytails. If you don't have the time, find a professional who is used to handling her type of hair.
DONT


just carry on with the leave in conditioners to make her hair softer. or, if you want braid it, so you can leave it for a few days without styling it
I am of black and cajun descent so I probably have hair similiar to your daughters. My mom used a regular perm on me when I was younger and it seriously damaged my hair! Some kids hair can take it, some can't. I wouldn't take the risk! Yet there is a new relaxer by Just For Me. It's made specifically for biracial girls or girls with curly coarse hair. You should be able 2 get it at Wal-mart. The relaxer doesn't totally take away the curly texture, but it's suppose to make the curls more manageable. Hope I helped!
If you want to try one at home ';Just For Me'; is pretty mild and does not burn like the ones they use for adults. I would definitely start there if you are not going to a salon. Make sure you part and comb her hair in the correct direction though. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, it is best to have someone else to do it... or do a lot of research first (including asking family members for advice).
Hi,





Im 32 and real curly hair, its not quiet afro but really tight curls, i used to get it chemical straight every 6 months and after 3 years i decide to let my curls grow back, but after just over a year of growing curls i was find them hard, so i got the kids one, Just For Me softner and my hair seems fine, still lots curly but a small touch looser.. tho my new hairdresser raged with me for getting it done but i was at wits end!!now that it is easier i am now able to grow it down and hopful the weight of the hair will keep it looser, it was only a one off to help me grow it..Good luck.
It is too soon to use a relaxer on her head. Especially if she is mixed. You will ruin the grade of her hair.





Start doing the daily maintenance of her hair using a comb out or de-tangled spray, then a moisturizing lotion to keep it from becoming dry. Use a extra wide tooth comb. Braid up her hair at night so it wont be so hard to comb in the morning.
I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of good afro products out there especially for kids. I can't remember the name but it comes in white bottles with a cute black girl on the front and alphabet block letters. it's lightweight and will stop the frizz. Or just go to an afro hair shop and see what they have for kids.





My daughter's friend has similar hair and it's like angel hair it's beautiful. Why would you want to mess with that???
dont use that in her hair because its a possibility that her hair might fall out and you will be very upset
i am mixed myself and i know what its like having unruly hair. your daughter is very young to start relaxing... my mum does it and she has to keep doing it so once u start u have to carry on... i havent done it thank goodness i rely on straightners and blow dryers and serums, but when i was young i didnt have all these...ur daughter is very lucky coz these are available now so why not use these? relaxing is too soon for someone so young... maybe she can do it when shes older.
just for me curl softening kits are made for kids. They are perfectly safe to use on your daughter. The min. age on the box is 2 years old. A hair softener is different from a relaxer in that it just makes the hair more managable and soft. You don't have to keep doing them all the time, but after you see the difference in her hair, you will want to, usually about every 6 months. The only kits to avoid are the ones that use LYE in them. the just for me don't have lye, so you'll be safe with those. You will also want to use shampoo and conditioner by ';motions at home'; for her hair. I'm white, but have very curly hair and I have used both on my hair. If you have any questions, go to a solon or go to Walgreens and ask a beauty advisor. They are specially trained to answer these types of questions. Hope this helps.
I wouldn't...my childs hair is crazy but I would never put those strong chemicals on her....they ruin the hair too.
The safest bet would be to take your daughter to a salon. They are the experts and if something goes wrong, you have someone to blame.
Oh no, leave the dear child's hair alone, she'll grow up thinking something is wrong with it if you try to change it. Let her grow a full thick head of hair and she'll look beautiful. I hate this thin, straggly straight hair look.





And also try the Baby Love range of products.
noooo..she's to young for that.relaxer is a very strong chemical that surely will damage her delicate hair...maybe u can find an alternative way to manage her hair.
dont do that to her hair because it might rune it for her now and in the future go to a salon and get it dont and dont let her wet her hair until you are ready to get it re-done

No comments:

Post a Comment