Monday, January 18, 2010

I want to let go of chemicals in my hair, any tips on going without relaxers?

I am an african american woman and as long as I can remember I have had chemicals in my hair. I want tips on going from a relaxer to natural hair. How can I keep it straight without breaking it off really bad? I think I have the products that I need, think being the key word here. I want to see how my hair would grow without the chemicals. Please helpI want to let go of chemicals in my hair, any tips on going without relaxers?
cool im doing the same thing. Im 5 months post my last relaxer. Im not going to BC..Im planning on transitioning for a year.





Whats helped me is:


1. Low manipulation/finger combing


2. detangling in the shower with conditioner.


3. co washing - washing with conditioner


4. oil rinses


5. deep conditioning.


6. buns, braidouts, twist outs.


7. using shampoo once a week


8. coconut milk masks.





Moisture is really important. Some people use direct heat like flat ironing to help with the transition but I use no heat at all. You can email me if you want..I have a fotki showing what styles I wear.





Also, you can visit nappturality.com/forums. They have a transitioning section there that has a lot of questions covered. you should check it out. Good luck on your transition.I want to let go of chemicals in my hair, any tips on going without relaxers?
Stop using a relaxer. Start letting your natural hair grow and eventually you will have to go to the hairdresser and get your relaxed hair cut off. Your hair will be the healthiest it has ever been. Trust me you'll love it !





You can keep your hair straight without damaging it by getting a blow dry. A blow out. It's better than the straightening iron which does alot of damage depends on the heat level. You can let your hair air dry everytime you get a wash. Better than the blow dryer since the blow dryer uses so much heat.
1) wash and condtion your hair


2) dont brush as much because it can break off easier


3) keep it moisturized with oils


4) to make it straight use a straighten (flat iron) only once a week


5) trim your hair every 6-8 weeks


6) use deep conditioners and do hot oil treatments


7) braid your hair (but not tight braids)





if you do this your hair can grow


hope i helped.
Just do it. just continue to wash and condition it regularly and you should be fine. I did that for a little over a year and my hair is the longest it has even been. (but I went back to relaxing it and it is stronger now.)Also, if this natural look is something you may want to do permanently, try dreads or twist. it is very manageable that way also.

No comments:

Post a Comment