Friday, May 14, 2010

If hair relaxers aren't a form of self hate, then why do ppl discourage from wearing natural afro hair?

most AA girls that go natural find that ppl in their community discourage it, they say little snide comments about your hair, make fun of it etc.





if perms are all about ';manageable hair'; then why the negative attitude towards natural afro hair?





in my opinion, it is ok to wear your hair straight sometimes, but to PERMANENTLY change the way god made you is sad. perms ruin hair, why not flat iron your hair SOMETIMESIf hair relaxers aren't a form of self hate, then why do ppl discourage from wearing natural afro hair?
I don't see what the big deal is with hair!





If someone whats straight hair, let them


if someone whats afro hair, let them





jeez hair is DEAD strands out of a live scalp!If hair relaxers aren't a form of self hate, then why do ppl discourage from wearing natural afro hair?
I don't know but in the mid 1970's,I knew some black girls that could rock an afro.I liked it then and I still do.
I am white.


IMO it is not a form of self hatred it is a form of self expression!


Do what you want with your hair!





I have naturally curly hair and try to work with it. I think it is easier for people to just work with their natural style. But some women like to play with their hair and spend a lot of time fighting their natural hair.





Do what you want. You are a female that likes to alter your hair. It doesn't need to be a political statement:-)
its not permenent its just until the hair grows back and natural is unappealing
If somebody wants to keep there hair natural then people should let them do what they want.
I never relax my hair, I always leave my hair natural.
putting relaxers on your hair doesn't make you want to be white..i use relaxers because flat irons don't get the roots of my hair and it's a lot easier to flat iron.
Yeah perms ruin a black woman's hair. Their hair actually GROWS when they leave it natural. Many black women in my family say,';OH afros are out of style, etc.';. But there are other ways you can where your hair when you leave it natural, and afros really dont look bad.
Relaxers ruin hair when you don't know how to use them and when you don't know how to take care of your hair. There are plenty of women with relaxed, waist length hair [obviously they're the ones that know how to take care of their hair]. People discourage natural hair, because they've been taught that natural hair is ';messy, nappy, unprofessional'; etc. It's really not when you know how to take care of it. It all boils down to knowing how to take care of YOUR hair [relaxed or natural].








Getting relaxers for the most part is not self hate. Would flat ironing your hair be self hate? It's not permanent, but your hair's still not in it's natural state either.





Edit---RELAXERS AREN'T EVEN ';PERMENANT';. THEY CAN BE GROWN OUT. SO, WHAT'S YOUR ISSUE?
Seems like when you see people with an afro now on TV or anywhere it's a joke. But Afros can be gorgeous and all that. Back then black pantheres wore afros to show themselves being proud of their black roots.





i like afros on some ppl


http://jemblog.com/wp-content/uploads/20鈥?/a>





i wish i could find the full big pic of this one but i cant


http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/鈥?/a>





my cute bf wanted an afro but he shaved it cuz army he misses it


http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-鈥?/a>
Some black people relax their hair and some white people perm their hair. It's all beautiful to me, it shouldn't matter how other people wear their hair, it makes them happy and that's all that should matter.





I know some black people or mixed people including myself who relax their hair because it is really thick. Thick, heavy hair could be VERY unmanageable, some people need relaxers, it ain't always the point of doing it just to fit in.








Btw when I use capitals I ain't doing it to be rude, just add emphasis. :)





And not everyone likes how their natural hair looks. I have thick curls that I HATE, they get frizzy and look ridiculous so I choose to straighten my hair. You gotta remember different people have different styles, some don't like afros.
why i it a form of self hate





mmm think who thinks like this is a racist


and i hated this ep in tyra





i am not black ,and i am not the traditional white





but i can wear my hair whateverway ,,, cover it or show it ,, i will still be one of my people , and i will still love my roots ....
';but to PERMANENTLY change the way god made you is sad';








Didn't you know it's only sad if you're a AA?


Any other race of female can change herself but we ge the most crap for it. And for 1...


My hair doesn't make me an african american. My skin does.








Edit: Of course there is. Our hair is seen as undesirable. I have my hair relaxed and it annoys me so much when people like you judge me and say im sad and not proud of what I am because it is relaxed! It's a style I like and guess what? When I get tired of it I'll cut it off and rock my afro, but untill I'll rock my perm. Don't judge others on what they want to do. It's a hairstyle for god sakes not a way of life. Im still black no matter how you cut it.
I agree. black hair is nice. I love to touch my guy friends nappy little hairs. So beautiful.





My black girl friend always laughs at people with afros if its not a long afro..MEAN black girls can be sometimes.











But I kind of think. In the 70s a lot of white women put curly perms on their head and black ladies wore afros because Poofy hair was in. Nowadays straight hair is in so white girls use flat iron to tame their wavy hair and black girls eitehr straight it or relax it. It's whatever is IN.
But why is it self hate to permanently straighten your hair as some black women do despite the fact that many women of other races get their hair chemically straightened too eg. my friend (who is white) gets her hair chemically straightened using this japanese technique every 4 months


But not self hate to curl you hair (perm) as many white, asian, latino etc women do..?


I think all hairstyles and types can be beautiful whether that be wavy, curly, afros or straight.


In my opinion it's not self hate either way, it's simply that as women, we always want what we don't posess. Therefore those of us with straight hair want curly and those of us with curly hair want straight..





(:

No comments:

Post a Comment